The Forrest Four-Cast: March 17, 2017
TGIF and thank goodness we have even more amazing panels, presentations, activities and networking events at SXSW 2017. On Friday, March 17, don’t miss these outstanding options:
- Can Content Industries Rely On The Chinese Music Market? Following a tumultuous history of copyright evolution, China has finally become one of the major players in the music industry. This presentation will outline the current status of IP protection, the major industry players and the main sources of revenues. Scheduled for 12:50 pm in Room 10B at the Austin Convention Center.
- Conversation with Rachel Ray. Television host, bestselling author and Austin enthusiast, Rachael Ray, has hosted two annual Feedback food and music events in Austin during SXSW for the last nine years. Attend this conversation with Gary Graff to learn more about what motivates her to do what she does. Scheduled for 12:30 pm in Room 12AB at the Austin Convention Center.
- Demystifying Asia’s Music Industry. This session will bring more in-depth knowledge in digital part of business from the history of mobile & tech development through piracy to legal licensing. We will cover Korean, Japanese and Chinese markets by comparing & contrasting many elements with the European and North American music industries. Scheduled for 3:30 pm in Room 10A at the Austin Convention Center.
- Developing in VR Meet Up. Attend this exciting Meet Up to learn more about how to start turning your dreams and idea into a real VR game. Scheduled for 11:00 am in Room 4BC at the Austin Convention Center. Open to all SXSW badges, plus SXSW Gaming wristbands.
- Flatstock 59. Presented by the American Poster Institute (API), Flatstock 59 will display the works of the world’s top gig poster artists. The event features posters of varying styles, colors and techniques for sale by the talented artists who created them. FREE to attend. Find all this spectacular artwork on the first floor of the Austin Convention Center, next to the SXSW Marketplace.
- For Games to Evolve They Need to Get Political. Games have tip-toed around political issues. How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking and after that to offering solutions? Scheduled for 5:00 pm in Room 5ABC at the Austin Convention Center. Open to all SXSW badges, plus SXSW Gaming wristbands.
- The Future of Inclusivity in Modern Gaming Culture. Hear from gaming industry experts as they share strategies for improving mentorship, curbing online harassment, and promoting STEM education. Even if you aren’t in the video game industry, this discussion is important to anybody in the modern workplace. Scheduled for 11:00 am in Room 6AB at the Austin Convention Center. Open to all SXSW badges, plus SXSW Gaming wristbands.
- The Future of Rock and Metal in the Digital Space. The demise of the album format has made innovation flourish and new revenue sources like VR and experiential rewards are being explored. Is the digital landscape the new el dorado for rock and metal? Scheduled for 12:30 pm in Room 8C at the Austin Convention Center.
- Garth Brooks Keynote. This five-time CMA Awards Entertainer of the Year is a country music icon. He is the first artist in history to receive seven Diamond awards for the now seven albums certified by the RIAA at over 10 million album sales each and remains the top-selling solo artist in United States history certified by the RIAA with over 138 million in album sales. Scheduled for 2:00 pm in Room 18ABCD at the Austin Convention Center.
- How Korea is Influencing Global Pop. In this session, we will discuss the rise of Kpop, the strategies that made the Korean music industry successful, how artists from around the world can utilize those strategies, and the future of the genre. Scheduled for 2:00 pm in Room 10C at the Austin Convention Center.
- How To Launch A Music Career From Scratch. A panel comprised of an artist manager, an entertainment attorney and a DIY artist, moderated by a former marketing director at Columbia Records, will discuss, debate and reveal how to launch a successful music career in today’s industry. Scheduled for 12:30 pm in Room 17B at the Austin Convention Center.
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series: World’s First Crowd Play. Telltale Games, award-winning developer and publisher of digital entertainment, have partnered with Marvel Entertainment to create a new episodic game series titled “Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series” (pictured above). Audience members will be able to control the story of the game from their seats by using their mobile devices to help decide what happens on the big screen! Scheduled for 6:30 pm at the Paramount Theater (713 Congress Ave). Open to all SXSW badges, plus SXSW Gaming wristbands.
- SXSW Art Program. Showcasing six immersive installations from a global array of artists experimenting with light, sound and emerging technologies, the SXSW Art Program features six installations located across downtown Austin. The selected works span the geographical gamut, including artists from Japan, the Netherlands, the global Hyphen-Labs team, and Austin’s own Raum Studios.
- SXSW Gaming Conference & Festival. Located at the Austin Convention Center, the event offers an endless amount of possibilities for fun and entertainment across the Expo, Awards, and Programming. Join us March 16–18 to experience an all-new SXSW Gaming, featuring an expanded Gaming Expo, a one-of-a-kind awards show and evening events, and unmatched industry programming. Buy your exclusive Gaming Wristband today to be part of the action!
- SXSW Marketplace. The first installment of the SXSW Marketplace brings together local Austin boutiques and hand-selected national/global brands to create a unique shopping experience at the epicenter of SXSW. No badge needed to attend. Located next to Flatstock on the first floor of the Austin Convention Center.
- SXSW Outdoor Stage. FREE FREE FREE music at Auditorium Shores begins on Thursday evening. So much fun and such a fantastic venue with spectacular sight-lines of Downtown Austin. Friday, March 17 is a Tribute to Prince featuring Dez Dickerson, Prince’s long time friend, original bassist and musical collaborator, Grammy-winning artist and producer Andre Cymone, the legendary Wyclef Jean, Grammy winner and former Shalamar guitarist Micki Free, together performing classic Prince songs in a one-of-a-kind, one-time only performance.
- Secrets To Getting Syncs. Whether it’s ads, trailers or TV & Film placements you’re after, we’ll be discussing simple and useful tools that you can use in your approach to making and pitching your music. This is a unique opportunity to hear candid advice and insights from some of the world’s top supervisors. Scheduled for 3:30 pm in Room 8C in the Austin Convention Center.
- The Social, Sharing, and Streaming Future of VR. A common concern about virtual reality is how isolating it might be. People worry that by wearing a headset a user will be cut off from the world and about the potential social and health consequences. Join Adam Arrigo (TheWaveVR), Alex Schwartz (Owlchemy Labs), Bruce Wooden (AltspaceVR) and Tadhg Kelly (VREAL) as they discuss the social side of virtual reality. Scheduled for 2:00 pm in Room 6AB at the Austin Convention Center. Open to all SXSW badges, plus SXSW Gaming wristbands.
- Tech Matters: A Blueprint for DIY Musicians. Incorporating the perspectives of artists, tech companies, artist managers and digital media experts, this panel will discuss best practices and resources for DIY artists to make the most out of technological disruption. Scheduled for 5:00 pm in Room 17B at the Austin Convention Center.
- Video Games For People Who Don’t Like Video Games. As our lives become increasingly interactive, interactive media should become the most relevant form of entertainment. And yet many people find video games boring, uninteresting, unfulfilling, or a waste of time. This panel will discuss where the industry may be going wrong, and why, and how co-design and co-creation can lead to new forms of interactive entertainment for new audiences. Scheduled for 11:00 am in Room 5ABC at the Austin Convention Center. Open to all SXSW badges, plus SXSW Gaming wristbands.
Buy your SXSW badge now to be a part of all creativity, inspiration, discovery and innovation brings to Austin. Or, if you only want to attend the Gaming Expo and the gaming-related sessions, then just grab a low-priced SXSW Gaming Wristband.
Hugh Forrest tries to write four paragraphs per day on Medium. These posts generally cover technology-related trends. When not attempting to wordsmith or meditating, he serves as Chief Programming Officer at SXSW in Austin.
#URLinkedUp AustinStartup http://bit.ly/2nNbKpS
#Austin Check out URLinkedUp > http://bit.ly/1o4wis3